Friday, June 11, 2010

Political Advertising

John McCain, senator of Arizona for well over 20 years, the guy who lost the last presidential election, whether you like him or not, is running for reelection in 2010. I don’t know for sure, of course, but if I had to guess, I’d say he’ll still be here another 4 years. Partly because it’s still a little early for me, I haven’t done a ton of research about who I’m going to vote for personally. At this point, I know of only two candidates – maybe? There’s the incumbent, and then there’s this other guy, J.D. Hayworth.

The only reason I know about him is because the television airwaves (at least the local stations I watch) are saturated with McCain ads, half of which trash talk Hayworth. I don’t know yet if the trash talk is true or false (I suppose it’s really some mixture of the two), but if it weren’t for these ads, I honestly wouldn’t even know about the competition. Not to mention, since the only publicity is only negative and only coming from one party – namely, the other candidate – I actually think it biases me a bit more in the new guy’s favor. 

There are plenty of other ads that tell why McCain would be a good decision come election time, but I’d prefer that option over the alternative. If I’m going to vote for you, let it be for the things you have done and the things you say you will do. I’m not going to vote for you simply because someone else did something wrong. Everyone does something wrong now and then, especially politicians. Just give me the good news, as I accept that there is and always will be the bad to go with it. And now that I’ve worded that as I have, let’s leave the news to the news, whichever outlet you prefer, and instead give me your promises.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like the trash talk either - tell me why I should vote for you, not why I shouldn't vote for everyone else. Wait, what did I just agree to promise you?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I will usually do my best to respond as quickly as I can. I would like to encourage conversations between myself and others in this way, so please feel free to speak your mind!