Monday, October 10, 2011

The Ageless Philosophical Debate

Namely, what is a ‘baby item’? Well, maybe not so ageless, and I doubt you've really considered this. I mean, it is such a simple question to answer, isn't it? 


But ask BABIES ‘R’ US what they think, and you might find yourself very confused.




Rantomness - Baby Item


In case it is difficult to make out, the image above is a scan of a coupon I received in the mail. I get these about once a month in the mail, and I always am bewildered by the bolded ‘ANY’ in conjunction with the large list of exclusions. For example, I would consider a baby toy (rattle, etc.) to be a ‘baby item’. However, the coupon clearly states that ‘ALL toys’ are excluded. So, a toy is not in the set of all ‘baby items’. Seems to be incorrect, but I’ll go with it. Next, I might think of getting diapers in place of a toy. Diapers are certainly not toys, and they are almost assuredly baby items. Upon review of the coupon, this is also an excluded item. 20% off ‘ANY’ baby item, huh?


Well, it turns out that, in addition to the two things just listed, food, formula, wipes and items from a very large array of different brands (which then includes select baby clothing as well, yeah?) are excluded from this promotion. So then, what is actually covered here? Frankly, I’m not going to go through the effort of finding out which. Really guys, the coupon should read ‘Save 20% on one SELECT regular-priced baby item.’ Then I wouldn’t have any room to complain.


I'd also like to add that while the first exclusion listed is ‘ALL toys’, the coupon later goes on to redundantly exclude ‘electronic learning toys’ as well, even though it's already been stated and the point has been made and we already know this to be the case because that text has already appeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I will usually do my best to respond as quickly as I can. I would like to encourage conversations between myself and others in this way, so please feel free to speak your mind!